Browse by Category
- All categories
- African American Heritage
- Civil War History
- Museums & Historic Sites
- Outdoor Adventure
- Family Fun
- Dining & Culinary
- Scenic Drives
- Festivals and Events
- Historic Cities & Towns
- Visitor Snapshots
- Wineries and Breweries
- Francis Scott Key
- Destination Frederick County Videos
- Visitor Information
- One Day In......
Discover Dog-Friendly Frederick
Images courtesty of Douglas Via/Downtown Frederick Partnership
Dogs never have to go far without a drink, treat, and warm welcome when visiting Downtown Frederick. “My dog’s Diggin' Downtown Frederick” stickers, water bowls, and dog-friendly fountains abound, while dog-friendly business owners offer treats for pampered pooches. Throughout town, you can easily identify dog-friendly businesses by the decals in the windows and stop in for some of these treats.
7 Reasons Frederick is a Great Dog-Friendly Destination
- Dog-Friendly Shops & Restaurants - To date, Downtown Frederick welcomes well-behaved pets at over 55 specialty shops, boutiques, antique shops, restaurants (patio dining), and galleries. Visit the Downtown Frederick Partnership’s website to find out which shops and restaurants welcome your four-legged friend.
- Annual Dog Days of Summer Event - An annual, extremely popular, “Dog Days of Summer” event lets people know that Downtown Frederick is a dog-friendly city. During this event, Downtown Frederick goes to the dogs, featuring a dog parade and costume contest, dog-friendly stores, dog-friendly dining, animal art & a Yappy Hour doggie after-party. Participants can also enjoy live entertainment, guest artists and extended shopping hours at 80+ downtown stores.
- Downtown Frederick Dog Park - Downtown Frederick's Dog Park is a great place to meet and greet dogs and their owners. The Dog Park is located at the corner of Bentz Street and Carroll Parkway. Dog park registration forms can be downloaded from the City of Frederick's Recreation Department.
- Ballenger Creek Dog Park - Just outside of the City of Frederick, the park is approximately 4 acres in size with two separate small dog and all dog areas, walkways and trails, benches and water. Website
- Room to Roam - Frederick County's 90 national, state, local, and municipal parks offer room for you and your pet to explore. Hike in Catoctin Mountain or on the C&O Canal, or take advantage of Downtown Frederick's 44-acre Baker Park right in the heart of the city. Check individual park's pet policies, which can vary seasonally.
- Paws in the City - 112 East Patrick Street, Downtown Frederick, Maryland, 301-514-9385 - Paws in the City is a unique pet store in Downtown Frederick catering to the most discerning pets and their humans. Expert professional grooming is provided by The Temple of Groom. Visit the Paws in the City Facebook page for more information.
- Pet-Friendly Lodging - Frederick County offers over a dozen options for a pet-friendly overnight. The lodging options below indicated that they were pet-friendly for 2016-17. Policies and procedures can always change, so be sure to confirm in advance to ensure your four-legged friend can stay by your side throughout the night.