Browse by Category
- All categories
- African American Heritage
- Civil War History
- Museums & Historic Sites
- Outdoor Adventure
- Family Fun
- Dining & Culinary
- Scenic Drives
- Festivals and Events
- Historic Cities & Towns
- Visitor Snapshots
- Wineries and Breweries
- Francis Scott Key
- Destination Frederick County Videos
- Visitor Information
- One Day In......
33 Ways to Find Your Holiday Spirit
‘Tis the season to be jolly and Frederick County has many events and activities to get you into the holiday spirit. Lights, music, entertainment, and food will make your holiday season festive this year. Here are 33 ways to eat, drink, and be merry this holiday season in Frederick County.
- Get into the holiday spirit at Everedy Square and Shab Row in Downtown Frederick. More than 40,000 twinkling lights greet visitors to this shopping district.
- Stop by the Alpaca for the Holidays & Artisan Fair to shop for hand-spun sweaters, socks, scarves, and more.
- Enjoy a Christmas in the Country festival featuring arts and crafts from local artisans.
- Learn about the wonderful qualities that tea can have for you during the cold months at the Winter Teas for Wellness Workshop.
- Visitors come from far and wide to experience the magical Maryland Christmas Show at the Frederick Fairgrounds. Find that perfect gift from a variety of local merchants and crafters.
- Listen to the music of Christmas past and present during a Way Off Broadway production of Mr. Claus.
- Take in the annual Hood College performance of Handel’s Messiah to add a little classical music to your holiday schedule.
- Admire thousands of shimmering lights that dance to holiday music along a mile of Maryland countryside. This Christmas Wonderland will benefit the Salvation Army.
- Enjoy Frosty Friday, Downtown Frederick’s alternative to Black Friday. Have an early breakfast and enjoy a day of characters, shopping, carolers, and entertainment.
- Bring the kids out as Santa Arrives at Everedy Square. Join in the caroling and refreshments to mark his arrival.
- Revel in the season while checking out the Gaver Farm Christmas Harvest Festival and taking in the beautiful scenery and a great selection of holiday gifts and necessities.
- Admire a Victorian Christmas at the Brunswick Heritage Museum and enjoy the holiday from another century.
- Ride the rails with the Santa Train. Hot chocolate and cookies will satisfy that holiday hunger during a visit with the holiday maestro himself.
- The Spires at Christmas features a brass band and vocalist who will usher in that holiday spirit. (Nov. 30)
- Hear tubas playing your Christmas favorites and join in the fun during the Merry Tuba Christmas and Winterfest at the Weinberg Center.
- Santa Claus is coming to the museum! The Museum of Frederick County History hosts Cocoa with Santa.
- Tantalize your taste buds with an array of Linganore wines perfectly matched with a variety of desserts. Find your favorite Holiday Desserts to complete your meal.
- Search for the truth behind the Christmas Star. At the planetarium, journey back millennia to seek a scientific explanation for the star in the Christmas story.
- Pick your favorite holiday depiction of Frederick during a seasonal art competition at the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center.
- Watch as local bakers and florists compete to create the best holiday concoctions during the Scents & Sweets Competition and Auction. Take home a winning piece of holiday cheer.
- Celebrate the area's rich German heritage with a traditional ChristKindleMarkt German Market featuring German food and sweets, traditional music, and handmade items.
- Join the City of Frederick in ushering in the holiday season with the Festival of Lights at City Hall.
- The Christmas Tree Lighting at the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton kicks off the season with lights, songs, and holiday refreshments.
- Experience a Harvester Holiday and take a tractor ride through Downtown Frederick with Santa himself.
- The Candlelight House Tour has quickly become a holiday staple in Downtown Frederick. See historic homes adorned in decorations and admire their architectural nuances.
- Join the Urbana Regional Library for a Joyful Jingles Holiday Open House with local musicians, crafts, and hot apple cider to warm you on a chilly December day.
- Three Saturdays in December will feature a wide variety of holiday events for young and old. Experience the holidays in Downtown Frederick.
- Practice some Holiday Magic at Rose Hill while learning the holiday traditions from across the globe. A magician will craft some seasonal thrills for everyone.
- Celebrate Old World holiday magic during the Kris Kringle Procession through Downtown Frederick. The parade features the best of Old English and German traditions on display.
- Give back during the Toys for Tots Collection at Westview Promenade. Support a Christmas tradition of giving back by donating new, unwrapped toys.
- Museums by Candlelight offers free programs and entertainment at historic sites throughout Frederick County.
- Finish your holiday preparations with the Charles Dickens’ classic tale, A Christmas Carol, at the Weinberg Center.
- Peek inside some of Frederick’s famous clustered spires during the Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship. (Dec. 26)
Special Overnight Offers
Plan your holiday getaway. Special packages offer discounted holiday rates at hotels. If you are local, it's a great option for a staycation or for relatives that plan on visiting you during the holidays season.